The coronavirus is spread through respiratory vapor, such as when someone sneezes or coughs into the air around you. Influenza viruses and common cold viruses are also spread this way. The no. 1 thing you can do to prevent any respiratory illness is to practice good personal hygiene.
- Wash your hands with soap or use a hand sanitizer that contains alcohol.
- Sneeze and cough into tissues or the crook of your elbow. If you get mucus or spit on your skin, clean it off right away. Avoid touching your face with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick, especially people exhibiting respiratory symptoms and fever.
- Stay home when you’re sick.
- Regularly and thoroughly clean surfaces, such as counter tops and doorknobs, with a disinfectant.